Nagpur: Mahametro has set up a quality control laboratory in its own premises, to ensure that its contractors use the right kind of materials. Also, the agency will get revenue from this laboratory, which will be available for use by other corporates too. Mahametro has signed an agreement with international quality control agency Bureau Veritas (BV) for this purpose.
People who viewed this, also viewed: Nagpur Metro: Work on Maha Metro’s 3 Stations To Begin in Mid-May
- As per the norms contractors had to get their materials tested before using them for construction, a source in Mahametro said.
- He said,"The contractor has to spend a lot of money for setting up the laboratory. We now offer them this service. The contractor also has to get third party testing of materials done, which the BV laboratory can now do."
- There is, however, no compulsion on Mahametro contractors to get the primary testing done in the BV laboratory.
- Also, the BV laboratory can test materials used by contractors of other agencies, like NHAI (National Highways Authority of India), NMC (Nagpur Municipal Corporation), PWD (public works department) etc.
- The source said,"In such cases, we will get 5% of the testing charges as the laboratory is on our premises. We will thus start earning even before the Metro is operational."
- However, that so far no 3rd party testing had been done, he added.
- Many other Metro Rail agencies also get their materials tested by Bureau Veritas (BV) but since they have no share in the laboratory, they do not get revenue from 3rd-party testing.
- The services offered by BV Nagpur laboratory include material testing, geo-technical & soil investigation, non-destructive testing of civil & steel structures, design review, risk assessment & commissioning assistance.
- The memorandum of understanding (MoU) between Bureau Veritas & Mahametro was signed in July 2016.
- Later, an agreement was signed between the 2 parties in February 2017.
- Recently, the laboratory was inaugurated by Mahametro managing director Brijesh Dixit.
About Bureau Veritas:
- Bureau Veritas (BV), a French company, is the global leader in the field of testing, inspection & certification.
- It has branches all over the globe.
- Founded in 1928 but its operation in India started in 1971.
- At present, it has 8 testing laboratories in the country and employs about 5,000 people.
- The Nagpur laboratory is its ninth in India.
To Find Rail Analysis on Facebook For latest opportunities, news, events and much more
Send your comments, suggestions and tips to firstname.lastname@example.org