Uttarakhand: After announcing an all-weather road project worth Rs 13,000 crore (approx US$ 2016.13 Million) for the char dham, the government is making efforts to connect the 4 revered shrines with railway network. Taking a step forward in this regard, the ambitious ongoing project of Rishikesh to Karnprayag railway track has been extended up to Sonprayag on the Kedarnath route. Suresh Prabhu, Railway Minister, who is scheduled to visit Uttarakhand on May 13, is to lay the foundation stone for the extension project.
People who viewed this, also viewed: Worth Rs 90,000 crore Railway Projects undertaken, to Connect All the States of North-East
- The 125-km long Rishikesh-Karnprayag rail project was initially planned in 1996.
- The project is an important one for the Himalayan state as it connects hills with the plains in the Garhwal region.
- The government in the state has made efforts to ensure that the project picked up pace.
- Sources pointed out that the BJP was in favour of connecting the char dhams of Uttarakhand through railway network.
- Therefore, the ambitious project has been extended for another 103 kilometer up to Sonprayag.
- "The rail line has been extended up to Sonprayag and the rail minister is coming to Uttarakhand to lay the foundation stone on May 13. It is an important project and is being given the priority by our government," CM Trivendra Singh Rawat said On Wednesday.
- He also tweeted a message in this regard.
- The project is worth over Rs 16,000 crore (approx US$ 2481.39 Million) and the railway route would pass through 5 districts of Dehradun, Tehri, Pauri, Chamoli & Rudraprayag and cover pilgrimage towns of Devprayag, Srinagar, Rudraprayag & Gauchar.
- A total of 16 bridges are to be constructed on the Rishikesh to Karnprayag route.
- After the extension, the railway line would also cover Agastyamuni & Sonprayag, around 15 kilometer before the Kedarnath dham.
To Find Rail Analysis on Facebook For latest opportunities, news, events and much more
Send your comments, suggestions and tips to email@example.com