Kochi: The Kochi Metro Rail Limited (KMRL) plans to begin construction works associated with integrated Water Metro project in June. After holding a review meeting, the Metro agency has decided to speed up preliminary works. The review meeting was attended by representatives of various local bodies which would be linked by Kochi Water Metro.
People who viewed this, also viewed: Kochi Metro Service Trials Begin Today Between Aluva-Palarivattom Corridor
- Earlier, KMRL had adjudged AECOM Consortium (Aecom India Pvt Ltd, Urban Mass Transit Company Limited & Zebec Marine Consultants Service Pvt Ltd) as the successful bidder for the project.
- The work will be awarded to the AECOM consortium after obtaining clearance from KfW and the German bank, which is funding the project.
- The approval of KMRL's director board is also required.
- The state government would complete the first phase of the Water Metro project by the last quarter of 2019, said CM Pinarayi Vijayan.
- KfW had expressed satisfaction over the progress of the project, he said.
- They were in the final phase of appointing general consultants for the project and once the environmental clearance is received, the project would take off, the CM said.
- The water Metro was envisaged as a feeder service to the Kochi Metro rail project, and the idea is to have an integrated mobility project comprising Metro rail, Water Metro & feeder buses, Hibi Eden, MLA said.
- Once the project gets over, it would change the face of Kochi, he said.
- The chief minister said that rules and regulations framed for constituting the governing body and executive committee does not stipulate the inclusion of the mayor, district panchayat president or the MLA in the committees.
- At the same time, it was expected that the board of directors would give approval to appoint general consultants this month, KMRL said.
- The Water Metro rail will connect Ten panchayats.
- They have identified 16 routes.
- While sufficient land is available in most jetties for Water Metro rail, they will have to acquire more land for constructing road at some places for which KMRL requires cooperation of panchayats.
To Find Rail Analysis on Facebook For latest opportunities, news, events and much more
Send your comments, suggestions and tips to firstname.lastname@example.org