Tamil Nadu: The Railway Board, New Delhi, has allotted 11 more EMD locos to the Tiruchi shed. With this allotment, the tally of such locos has increased to 56.
The Tiruchi shed is the lone establishment in the Southern Railway zone to house the highest fleet of EMD locos - each of which can chug at a maximum speed of 160 kmph.
People who viewed this, also viewed: Railway Authorities To Increase Air-Conditioned Coaches In Ludhiana-Delhi Shatabdi Train
- The shed had been housing 45 EMD locos equipped with microprocessor control system until recently.
- 6 new EMD locos manufactured at the Diesel Locomotive Works in Varanasi have been put into regular operation, railway sources said.
- A senior official said, 5 more high horsepower locomotives have left for Tiruchi from Varanasi and are expected to be inducted soon.
- All the 11 new locos have dual cabins & are equipped with air-conditioned units for loco pilots.
- 2 locos would be used for hauling freight wagons & 9 for hauling mail & express trains in various sections.
- The EMD locos with 4,500 horsepower are longer in length when compared to conventional ‘Alco’ type locomotives which happen to be the main stay of the Indian Railways.
- Each EMD loco weighs about 126 tonnes & has a capacity of 5,000 litre fuel tank.
- Being high horsepower, the EMD locos can run up to a maximum speed of 160 kmph.
- The EMD locos are housed at Tiruchi & Erode sheds.
- The locomotives come to the shed for “scheduled attention” at regular intervals before being sent back for operation.
- The Tiruchi shed also houses a fleet of 57 ‘Álco’ type diesel locomotives & 35 Diesel Power Cars.
- The sources said, the EMD locos maintained by the Tiruchi shed are in operation in Mangalore, Mysore, Baroda & at Konkan Railway.
- Recently, the Tiruchi shed was adjudged the best maintained shed among the 4 sheds in the Southern Railway zone in 2016-17 fiscal.
- This is the 3rd time in a row that the Tiruchi shed has got this recognition.
To Find Rail Analysis on Facebook For latest opportunities, news, events and much more
Send your comments, suggestions and tips to email@example.com