New Delhi: Indian Railway Stations Development Corporation (IRSDC) plans to organise a global design competition. A panel will be formed comprising of reputed railway officials & architects who will examine entries and select 2-3 entries initially, after which a final entry will be selected for each station.
The ministry of railways plans to redevelop 400-plus railway stations across the country wherein commercial rights for usage of railway land will be given to developers who in turn will redevelop the stations & maintain them.
People who viewed this, also viewed: Railways To Redevelop Puri & Cuttack Stations
- Currently, contracts for redevelopment of Habibganj & Gandhinagar have already been awarded.
- A railway official said,“Right now the norms and documents are being put together as it has to be objective and the panel needs to be chosen very carefully.”
- It is crowd-sourcing of ideas which to bring in innovation, the official said.
- IRSDC, a special purpose vehicle formed jointly by Ircon International Ltd & Rail Land Development Authority to develop & redevelop railway stations, will oversee the entire process.
- The Railway Board has given consent to turn IRSDC into a self-run company headed by managing director and a functional board.
- The national carrier has already started 6 innovation challenges which are open to public.
- These include identifying sources to increase non-fare revenue, freight wagon designing, increasing carrying capacity of passenger coaches, & developing new digital capabilities, etc.
- When the redevelopment of a station will start, the winning designer for that station will be associated with the developer.
- The official added,“It will be binding on the developer to accept the winning design and the developer can further improvise the design.”
- The consultant while preparing the DPR (Detailed Project Report) will include the design in the proposal and then it will be placed for bids.
- The railways has postponed the contract awarding date for Anand Vihar railway station as some land titles are yet to be cleared & developers are demanding clean land titles.
- The paperwork for Brijwasan railway station is expected to be completed by the month-end and will be put up for bids.
- In total, 23 stations have been identified in the first round of the station redevelopment programme which will be put up for bids.
- The official said,“As developers have asked for more time to put together concepts, we may be extending the tender dates which were advised on 8 February. The bid due date should have been end May.”
- The railways is currently addressing the pre-bid queries of developers.
To Find Rail Analysis on Facebook For latest opportunities, news, events and much more
Send your comments, suggestions and tips to email@example.com