New Delhi: The Indian Railways (IR) is stepping up efforts to reduce emission by 33% in the next 10-12 years through sustained energy efficiency measures & maximum use of clean fuel.
Promoting low carbon mass transportation system, the Railways will be using 5% bio diesel & CNG/LNG for traction while stepping up use of renewables up to 10% of its energy needs by 2030.
People who viewed this, also viewed: 100 More Feeder Buses to Link Metro Stations To Provide Last Mile Connectivity
- Besides, state-of-the-art energy efficient locomotives & regenerative braking system will be the order of the day for the Railways to reduce emission level considerably.
- A senior Railway Ministry official involved with green initiatives undertaken by the public transporter, said, the Indian Railways is 12 times more energy efficient in freight traffic and 3 times more in passenger traffic compared to roadways.
- Use of renewable sources of energy will be promoted for which a big target has been set to achieve 1000 Mw of solar power & 170 Mw of wind power installed capacities.
- While about 20 Mw of solar power plant on roof top has already been commissioned, wind power of 36 Mw has been commissioned.
- In order to reduce carbon footprint, he said, a low carbon growth strategy has been adopted to reduce emission intensity by 33% by the year 2030 with 2005 as the base year by improving traction fuel & energy efficiency.
- Also, the national transporter has decided to recycle water & promote rainwater harvesting systems & revival of water bodies across the country.
- There is a concerted efforts for increasing forest cover on railway land.
- The target of tree plantation on railway land is Five crore trees in the next 3 years.
- The official said,"This year 1.2 crore trees have been planted against a target of 1.15 crore."
- Also, the railways have commenced recycling of solid waste & generating energy from it.
- Fitting bio-toilets in its entire 55,000 strong fleet of coaches by 2019 is another green initiative of the Indian Railways.
To Find Rail Analysis on Facebook For latest opportunities, news, events and much more
Send your comments, suggestions and tips to email@example.com